THE Brown & Annie Lawrence Home, for the aged, is the oldest retirement home in Pinelands. I was opened by HRH Princess Alice, the Countess of Athlone on 21st February 1930. Mr Brown Lawrence was a successful businessman having set up the company B Lawrence and Co in 1901 dealing in soap, candles and as a general dealer in Barack Street. When he died in 1922, his will he instructed that a portion of his estate was to provide accommodation for employees who retired from his company and thereafter to continue an open old age home. This was in memory of his wife Annie who had died while in London in the previous year. A single line in the will was successfully challenged in court by Brown’s brother-in-law. All properties including their home Bon Accord in Rondebosch home was sold. The current site in Pinelands was chosen to build a home as intended in Brown’s will. The property now also hosts 39 life-rights units known as Broadwalk Mews.
Clareinch Nurses’ War Memorial Home in New Way was built in 1946 for 13 nurses who had served in the military. Sir John Buchanan had lost his only son, Noel, in World War 1. In memory of his son and in thanks to the nurses that cared for his son, he donated his home, Clareinch in Claremont, to the Nureses War memorial Assocaion. In 1946 the city expropriated the Claremont home. The compensation paid by the city allowed the Association to build the Home in Union Avenue. The name of Dir Buchanan’s house was carrie dover to the new building. In 1961 an additional wing for 10 rooms was opened by the wife of the Governor General, Mrs Swart. The additions were funded from the sale of properties owned by the Victoria Nurses Institute which was disbanded in 1959. A further extension named the Hill-Davidson Wing was opened in 1982. This Home was vacated unexpectedly in 2021 and the future of this memorialis uncertain.
Lucy Bean was behind the establishment of SAWAS House in 1956 with funding from National Housing Commission obtained by the Voluntrary Workers and funding from the Giverbers General’s National War Fund. It was built as a lasting Memorial to the work carried out in WW2 by the South African Auxiliary Services. In 2007 The Voluntary Workers Housing Utility Company sold the property to Communicare for R100.00. The Home is slowly being vacated by the and the future of this memorial to women in the War effort is uncertain alghough the titles deeds restict the peprty to an aged person’s home.
When Dr. Helen Keller, the famed American author, disability rights advocate, political activist and lecturer toured South Africa in 1951, she met with Marjorie Watosn of Fish hoek. Arising from the scission it wasralised that ther was a need for a home to cater for blind elderly women. Five years later the plans wer passed to build the home for 14 women next to Raapenberg Station in Links Drive. The funding came from the Department of Social Welfare and the Cape Town Civilian Blind Society. Firther funding came from donations in response to a fund-raising letter sent to 10 000 businesses and individuals. The lasnd was provided by the Cape Town City Council for a nominal value of one pound. The land was later incorporated into the Pinelands Municipality.
Cape Peninsula Organisation for the Aged established Pinelands Place in Lonsdale Way consisting of 124 apartments and a 33-room on-site Care Centre was built in the early 1970s
Cape Peninsula Welfare Organisation for the Elderly built Secura Home for 214 single or married elderly who are physically or mentally challenged. It was opened by the State President CR Swart in 1964. The initial occupants were moved from Dryfe House in Orange Street in Cape Town. Built to cater for 224 resindet it made provision for the senile and metally disturbed. It was aimed at the frail who earned less that R100 a month. Among the resindets was the mother of Dr Chris Barnard who opened the Fete in 1969. The name of the home was changed to the Zerlida Steyn home in honour of Pinelands resident Zerilda Steyn who was the driving force behind the pojrct. In 2003 Stag Homes purchased the site to build the 360 Unit Anfield Village.
The Cape Peninsula Welfare Organisation for the elderly built a second home known as Sheldon Park. It is a five-story block of flats for self supporting elderly on a site previously set aside for a hotel near Howard Centre. In 2000 the building was taken over by Stag Homes and renamed Riverside Manor. Based on market research an extensive upgrade took place including assisted living facilities. Later the complex was taken over by the Cape Peninsula Organisation for the Aged and the name was shortened to The Manor.
Pinewood Village was established in 1993 on a portion of the University of Cape Town Sports fields which had previously been the SARS Wireless station. The land remains in the ownership of the University but has a 99-year lease agreement with Pinewood Trust which controls the sales and maintenance of the buildings. Over the years it has extended and currently has 202 independent-living cottages, 30 assisted-living units and 12 frail-care units.
Mia’s House in Howard Drive was opened in 1999 by the Abbeyfield Society made possible by a money left by Mia Ennenga in her will when she died in 1997. Abbeyfield was started in 1956 by Richard Carr-Gomm in the UK. Abbeyfield was the name of the street where founders met and was the name a charitable abbey operating 400 years ago. The Society has home in 16 councties with the first home in South Africa opening in Cape Town in 1987. Currently Mia’s house has six residents, with a combined average age of 74.
Shire Retirement Properties began building 218 independent living units on the border in Maitland on land formerly occupied by the Cape Youth Centre. Known as Pinelands Grove Retirement Village it takes its entrance from Sunrise in Pinelands and is part of the Pinelands Community. The Home is operated by the Cape Peninsula Organisation for the Aged.